Monday, December 15, 2008

Kirby fluke

So, I've been digitally inking this Kirby piece... It's going very slowly (the inking you see so far has taken me at least four hours of work). Anyway, I clicked some button by mistake and got this weird halo effect. It's kind of cool, so I thought I'd post it, especially since, given how slowly it's going, I may never actually finish inking the whole piece:



In case you're wondering, I'm inking it digitally a) to get used to my new Wacom tablet, and b) because I adore Kirby, but whenever I've tried to ink some of his work before with real ink on paper (from scans, on a lightbox), I've ended throwing up my hands in disgust. Every line has to be just perfect--I have no idea how Mike Royer did it. This way I can erase each stroke 10 times before I get it anywhere near right--and that's why it's been taking so long.

It has a bit of a "Large Glass" effect about it, don't you think?



P.S. Here it is without Kirby's pencils:

1 comment:

troylloyd said...

no words suffice,

quite simply:

EYESUM !!!